Late last night Mia woke up crying just as Brett and I were going to bed. I got her out of bed and immediately knew that she was sick. She had a temperature of 104, she was coughing thickly, she was lethargic, and her breathing was short and labored. Scary sick. The last time I had a child with symptoms like that, it was a 2-year-old Dicie and she ended up staying in the hospital for 3 days. I immediately switched into Doctor-Mommy mode and made ready to tackle her fever first. Out came the Tylenol. But Mia would have nothing to do with it. We're talking about the liquid grape-flavored child-friendly Tylenol here. We had no success whatsoever. I tried slipping her just a drop so she could taste the sweetness of it. Nope. I tried begging, bribing, and coddling. Nope. We finally held her down and forced the medicine into her mouth, but there is no way to force a 2 year old to swallow. She spit it all out. As a last resort I pulled out a jar of peaches and poured some of the juice into a sippy cup (we were completely out of normal juice), then I spiked her juice with Tylenol. Nope. Brett tricked her into taking one sip by pretending to take her cup and drink it himself, but that only worked once. There was nothing we could do to convince that child to take the medicine! So instead, we had to watch her as she sat shivering miserably from the fever.
Today I have been reflecting upon this experience. As a parent, there is nothing worse than watching your child suffer. I can't help but think how much anguish my Heavenly Father feels as He watches His children suffer. Moses lifted up the brass serpent before the children of Isreal and all they had to do was look and they would live. But many perished because of the hardness of their hearts and the easiness of the way. In Lehi's dream all one had to do was go forth and partake of the fruit which was most sweet, but Laman and Lemuel would not go and partake. Last night, I knew that if Mia would take the medicine she would feel better. But she, as do I and all of us, has the agency to choose.
How often in my life am I refusing to take my medicine? I know Heavenly Father has his hands out to me, full of blessings. Blessings that are contingent upon my obedience to simple commandments. Scripture study, prayer, family home evening, temple attendance. These are all medicine that I need, and they taste good too!
Just take it, you'll feel better.
I hope I can take this lesson and live by it. I am thankful for the moments like this that Heavenly Father uses to teach me. And I'm thankful that Mia is doing better today, after a long night last night, and will hopefully continue to improve.
Soccer Photography
2 years ago







1 comment:
Angie, what a nice post. It is a good reminder to us all of how much the Lord wants to bless our lives if we would but only let Him. I hope that Mia is feeling better.
Post a Comment