Thursday, September 18, 2008

Canning - Part 1

Canning season at our house is now officially in full swing! I started canning peaches yesterday at 1pm. Besides stopping here and there to tend to the kids, take Dicie to her piano lesson, and fix/eat/clean up dinner, I was canning for the rest of the day until 10pm when I finished! I got 55 jars done. Canning is always exhausting, but it is so gratifying to see the full jars all lined up. On to the next project . . . I have 5 boxes of pears slowly ripening and yearning for their Mason jars!

3 comments:

Becky said...

I'm so impressed with your cans. I think at least 3 of us were canning peaches yesterday. It was my first time and I just did one box of Crandall peaches (which were delicious) It gave me 10 beautiful jars that I am displaying above my cabinets. It does give you a sense of satisfaction to have them lined up on the counter. Kim Dodds canned peaches yesterday too. I'm looking forward to becoming a professional canner like my sisters-in-law!

Holly said...

We did 216 jars in the last 2 days and I think I'm going crazy now! I've got to get a picture of them all lined up like you have. It's kind of fun to see how much you can do and know you have all that yummy food for emergencies and just every day eatin'!

Heather said...

I am so jealous. I only canned about 14 apricots this year (and nine batches of apricot jam) and then I was done. Of course, your family has always been very good canners! Way to go, and good luck on the pears.