Wednesday, February 11, 2009

Pride and Prejudice Fever

It all started innocently enough. In honor of Valentine's Day this month, our book group chose to read the ultimate of all romantic novels, Jane Austen's Pride and Prejudice. So I read it. Again.

Thinking I was smart to start early on such a lengthy book, I began to read it before the end of January. Unfortunately I was too engrossed in it and ended up reading it in 3 days. That would not do, for I still had 2 weeks until book group! I wanted Pride and Prejudice to be fresh on my mind. So, of course, I watched this (as any good girl would):

Of course we all know that the A&E version of Pride and Prejudice is the best. But I own this one too:

I also love this most recent version. The music is wonderful and the cinematography is captivating.
Then I stumbled upon this version through Netflix:
Good, but definitely the lesser of the three. There's another version out there. The 1940 version with Greta Garson and Laurence Olivier. I still need to see that one . . .
Finally, I watched this:

Excellent. Jane Austen was fascinating.
And finally, last night was book group. I had hung onto Pride and Prejudice just long enough to really enjoy our discussion.
Today I'm feeling a little sad that I've finished my romance with Pride and Prejudice. Valentine's day is just days away and I'm feeling inclined to keep it going just a bit longer. Maybe I'll read this:
WAIT A MINUTE!! WHAT?!?!
You have got to be kidding me.

Here's the product description: "Pride and Prejudice and Zombies" features the original text of Jane Austen's beloved novel with all-new scenes of bone crunching zombie action."

Okay now, that is just WRONG!
I think I'll go read Sense and Sensibility.

4 comments:

Teresa said...

I hated Becoming Jane. Sure, it was her life...but it was depressing!

Holly said...

I didn't really care for Becoming Jane and I haven't seen the BBC version in forever- I think it's a bit dull from what I remember and I know the father is a horrible actor in it! I actually love the newest version the best. The Dad is my FAVORITE! So funny! I could quote him all day long.
That zombie thing is far out!

Kim and Jim said...

I haven't even read Pride and Predjudice yet. I have seen the movie, so I am not completely apostate. But after seeing that Zombie thing, I'm not so sure I should get that hooked on the novels... spooky!!

Heather said...

I have been wanting to reread that book for a while now. I should pull it off the shelf and get started.