Friday, August 21, 2009

A Nostalgic Vacation

Last weekend we took a trip down to Utah and went camping with my family. We were able to go the the ranch where I used to go almost every summer when I was growing up! It was so much fun to share such a nostalgic place with my own family, as I haven't been there since 1999 before I even met Brett. My great-grandfather was a sheep-rancher and he owned and ran this 2400 acre property in the mountains outside of Cedar City, Utah. Now the property belongs to some of his children. There are 2 small cabins on the property and it is beautiful there. There are aspen trees as far as you can see!

My parents brought 2 4-wheelers and 2 dirt bikes. The kids had a blast riding around everywhere! They couldn't get enough! Jameson even got to ride in the baby backpack and go for rides with Brett, and he loved it!

Surprisingly, when we first got there, Dallin didn't want to go on the 4-wheeler. But after Brett made him go for a ride with him, Dallin realized it wasn't so bad and he had a blast!

As for me, I took one short ride on a 4-wheeler with Dicie, then realized that 4-wheelers and dirt roads were not meant for 30-week-pregnant women. OUCH! Just thinking about it makes me hurt again! I did take the camera with me though and got a nice shot of Dicie and my sister Katrina at the ridge that overlooks the whole valley. It was breathtaking!

Mia spent most of her time at the cabin with her hands over her ears. The noise of the 4-wheelers and dirt bikes made her skittish, but she was also scared of the crackles of the camp fire!

The whole gang in front of the cabin. We were only missing my brother, Brian, and his wife and 2-week old baby, and my brother Aaron who is off training for his new job as a trucker! It was fun to have so many of us together. Hopefully we will go back more often now!

5 comments:

Teresa said...

You like cabins? You really should have married Brian...ha ha ha! Just kidding! I just pointed out the fact to him the other day that I have never been on a 4 wheeler! He was shocked! We haven't been to his parents cabin in....years! I am glad that you posted the picture of your family, I can't believe how big your little siblings are! I can't believe that Tracy isn't still 5!! I guess 11 yrs ages you a little, huh!?! Looks fun!

Kim and Jim said...

What a blast! Hopefully you were able to sleep on a bed, not on the floor :) So, how's the baby? Are you like me yet- ready for the baby to just be here already??

Cathy said...

Looks like you had a ton of fun, even being a 30-week pregnant mom! The kids and Brett had a great time, too, and made some wonderful memories. I'd like to visit southern Utah a bit more. It's beautiful country.

Annie said...

You really have a sister that is about the same age as your own children? That doesn't happen that often. What a novelty!

I love that there is a family cabin. That's a legacy we'd like to start for our family. Those types of investments seem to pay off in big ways. So many wonderful family memories and relationship building experiences.

Way to live on the edge by putting the prego woman on the quad. A woman after my own heart! :)

Debbie said...

great family pictures and great fun for your family!! I love those vacations where you can just get away from everything!