Little known fact about me: I love old cars.
Although I do get tingly when I see a '67 Mustang in powder blue, nothing compares to the feeling I get when I see a true vintage automobile. Anything built before about 1940 or so. Now, I'm not saying I'm an expert. On the contrary, I know very little about these cars and have a difficult time remembering makes and models. But I love them anyway, because of my Grandpa.
Grandpa Furr is a car collector. He collects old cars like my kids collect those colorful BB's from air soft guns. Grandpa is a machinist too, so not only does he collect these cars, but he restores them from the engine up. Honestly, I don't even know how many old cars he owns. But I do have my favorites. This one for example, has a certain amount of sentimental value:
Grandpa is the official chauffeur at every family wedding. When the couple emerges from the temple doors, there is Grandpa dressed to the nines in his black suit, bow tie, and chauffeur's hat ready to escort the couple to their next destination. The Rolls is always sparkling clean and decked out with a "Just Married" sign on the back.
Another of my favorite cars is the Model 'A'. When I was a kid I got to ride in this car in the Grand Parade in Provo, with Grandpa at the wheel of course. To me, being in the parade was the coolest thing ever! I got to ride in the back of that blue Model 'A,' waving at all the spectators from my privileged place in the rumble seat.
Last weekend, my kids got to ride in that old Model 'A' when Grandpa came for lunch. It held the same magic for them as it did for me so long ago.







1 comment:
I'm loving the old cars! How come I didn't know about this shared passion of ours?!
Post a Comment