Thursday, April 29, 2010

Vegas Baby

We had a great time in Las Vegas!  We flew down Monday (our anniversary) and I have to say, flying was one of my favorite things.  I got to sit next to Brett and do nothing but read.  It has been too long since I've had time to read and I really enjoyed it. 

We stayed at the Venetian hotel in the nicest room I've ever been in (which isn't saying much, but it's saying something)!  There were 3 TV's: one across from the bed, one across from the couch, and one in the bathroom.  More on that later.

The highlight of the trip was going to Phantom.  I realize I am a hick and suffering from cultural starvation, but I LOVED it!  Brett got us tickets on the 5th row and it was fabulous to be up so close.  I've wanted to see Phantom ever since I was a kid and it was well worth the wait!  We also walked to the Bellagio and watched the fountain show, which is amazing in person.

Tuesday morning I woke up and I thought I was going to die.

My stomach was cramping horribly and I was deathly nauseous.  I've never felt so sick.

After wanting to curl up and die on the marble tile in the bathroom, I gradually began to feel better and spent the rest of the morning in bed watching those blessed TV's.  We watched elephants on the Discovery Channel, "Ancient Aliens" on the History Channel, and "Modern Marvels: Bathroom Tech."  It was bliss!  (Except for the curling up and dying part.) 

I'm more than a little disturbed about what that says about me...

Amazingly, I felt fully recovered by noon!  We went to Madame Tussaud's, a life-long dream of mine (ever since that "Reading Rainbow" episode where they made a wax version of LeVar Burton - I know you remember it too...).  We got up close and personal with a few favorite celebrities, then almost bought a $50 "World's Largest Gummy Bear" in the gift shop. 

And then we decided that the Las Vegas Strip doesn't have much to offer a couple of Mormon hicks from Idaho.


So we hopped in our rental car and drove off to find some REAL excitement!

The Hoover Dam!




3 things I learned in Vegas:

1. The world would be a better place if the earth opened up and swallowed the Las Vegas strip.  It gets to the point where there is nowhere for you to avert your eyes to, and gouging them out becomes your only option.

2. When you get rid of Dish and network television in your home, it leads to strange bouts of binging when given the opportunity.

3. You can have an amazing time doing relatively lame things when you're with the person you love more than yourself.

Thanks Brett, for being sneaky, planning everything, spoiling me like crazy, and not freaking out when I almost died on the marble tile.

And thanks Mom, you are the best.  (Can we adopt you?)

6 comments:

Wilkey Party of Five said...

Angie~ I'm so glad you guys got to get away! What is with getting sick when you finally get away??? I think our bodies know we don't have kids to take care of, so sick it becomes! Glad it didn't last to long.

Holly said...

Mom told me you'd been sick- yuck! Glad the rest of it was ok. I TOTALLY remember that episode of Reading Rainbow! I wanna go there now!
Yeah, I don't miss the Vegas strip after being there for band tour. Too many fliers for hookers lying around on the streets. Ugh.

Kim and Jim said...

How fun to have a "10-year Honeymoon!" I have to admit, when I first read the part about nautiously ill, I thought of the time you guys went to Disneyland... then found out later you were pregnant... ? I must admit, I am once again wishing we lived closer together. I read your update on the DFB... so sorry to hear that #5 has been such a challenge. Tysen has gotten extremely clingy to me lately. I'm in the final stages of weaning him- and he actually prefers the bottle to the breast now. I think because it is less work for him. He is super giggly, though. Unfortunately, Madi has gotten more challenging lately. Mostly because she is in a huge tantrum phase and refuses to communicate with us by any other means. SOOO frustrating to not know what she wants/needs! I spend so much time trying to satisfy her and Tysen that poor Aspen feels neglected. But we spend some quality time together when the babies are sleeping (usually playing the wii or something). So what fun projects do you have on the list for this summer?

Heather said...

Glad you had fun. Can I rent your mom for my ten-year anniversary???

Dave and Kathryn Dodds said...

So glad you got a trip, but SO sorry about being so sick! I'm so glad you had a quick recovery! I can totally relate to the "binging" thing! HGTV is my weakness when I have the chance!

Sarah said...

So fun! I'm glad you guys had a great time, and I'm glad you didn't stay sick very long!