Wednesday, October 27, 2010

Not So Fast!




My darling little Avery-girl is one today. ONE!!!

My heart aches with every day that goes by. Babies are so sweet, so beautiful, and so fleeting. The first year of each of my babies' lives is so precious to me. If only I could hold onto each moment a little longer. Time does cruel things to a mother's memory. I know I won't remember the image of her face lighting up when she sees me. The breathy "hi" from her lips and the soft (or not so soft) love pats and nuzzles as I pick her up. I won't remember watching her sit contentedly for so long, enthralled with whatever toy (or piece of garbage, or sharpie) that happens to be nearby. I won't remember the enraptured look in her eyes as she watches the other children playing around her. The way she claps her hands, flaps her arms, or bounces up and down when she's excited. The way she shakes her head crazily back and forth when she's being goofy, laughing hysterically. I won't remember the way her hair becomes a matted, tangled puff ball on the back of her head no matter what I do. Or the way she points her tiny index finger for everything, sometimes shaking it and saying, "No, no no!" I won't remember how truly petite she is, a featherweight really, but packed with spunk and personality. In years to come, all of the images and daily details of my little one will be an irretrievable memory in the foggy hard drive of my brain.

But I will remember the way this sweet, happy, innocent child was an incandescent brightness, a tender mercy from my Father in Heaven, in a tenebrous time.

Happy Birthday my Avery.

1 comment:

Heather said...

Man, that went by fast! She's adorable! Happy Birthday, Avery!