Wednesday, November 5, 2008

"Why Me?" Moments

I know we all have them.

As a Mom, these moments plague us. We're going along with our day, everything is running miraculously smoothly, when suddenly the bomb is dropped. Everything falls apart. Something happens that makes us want to yell, "Oh No!," scream "Why Me?," and sit down and cry! Case in point, The Puke Puddle:

I won't bother mentioning the grilled cheese sandwiches burning in the background, the hollering 4 and 2 year olds, or the fact that this is the 3rd time in as many days that I've dealt with a similiar gag-induced situation. No, I won't mention this because it is completely assumed. I'm a Mom after all.

So what do I learn from my "Why Me?" moments? First of all I learn humility. I mean, if cleaning up puke doesn't humble you, I don't know what will. But I also learn humility when I recognize that I just yelled "Why Me?!" That's just me, being selfish and self-centered again. I mean look at the poor kid, he's lying helplessly in a puddle of puke! If anyone should feel sorry for themselves, it's definitely not me.

Second, I learn to be tough. I'd like to think that I don't say "Why Me" quite as often now as I used to. I'm still learning for sure, but you clean up enough puke (metaphorically and literally) and you're bound to get pretty tough!

Finally, I learn gratitude. When the panic is over, the mess is cleaned, the kids are off napping in their beds, and I'm quietly blogging, I reflect back on how frustrated I was and all I can do is laugh at myself! I realize how silly I was to get so worked up. I find myself counting my blessings and finding joy in the big picture. I'm just so lucky to have these amazing (albeit barfy) munchkins!

7 comments:

Holly said...

OH that is sooo sick! What was he eating?!? Yeah, I know how you feel when you realize the kid is probably having a harder time than you. Miriam has had a yeast infection or something on her bottom for days and she's up half the night every night and it's hard not to just think about me me me and the sleep I wish I could get!

Julie Carroll said...

eww! It totally looks like a melted orange creamsicle! Sorry, I couldn't resist analyzing. He looks quite happy :) Thanks for the very entertaining re-cap! Since your life is similar to mine I can really visualize and commiserate!

Dave and Kathryn Dodds said...

I'm so sorry. I'm just so, so, sorry.

Emily McKinney said...

You know... this could be scaring me for what is to come, but you're right, it's all in how you look at it. I thought to myself... at least it's not my own throw up. I've been struggling through the morning sickness phase and have learned to appreciate the puke that actually doesn't taste too bad. Jello is the latest favorite...

Kim and Jim said...

I love the happy look on his face! At least he is not screaming or spreading it all over himself...(speaking from experience). There are definitely plenty of the "why me?" moments though, which I totally agree are given to teach us humility and patience, and to appreciate all the many moments of blissful joy that come with being a Mom.

Annie said...

Your humility and gratitude is extremely admirable. You do your job so well. Would like mine for a while? :) I promise they will keep you humble.

Grateful though? I'm not so sure about that one.

jenny l p said...

What I still get a kick out of is your first reaction to these "why me" moments is to grab your camera! Well, he looks quite happy with himself in the picture so what's another minute documenting it as proof? :-)