Saturday, October 24, 2009

Reflections

I love the Reflections Program. When I was a little 5-year-old Kindergartner I was so excited to color a picture for Reflections. I clearly remember the visual image in my mind of the picture I would create. I put my crayons to work and though I couldn't quite get that image from my mind onto the paper, it was nonetheless an award-winning rendition of the Statue of Liberty.

As the Reflections chair at our school, I felt that my kids should participate in Reflections this year. Dallin didn't show much interest, but Dicie got excited about the idea of submitting an entry in the photography category. She loves goofing around with the camera! This year the theme is "Beauty Is..." When I asked her what she wanted to take pictures of, she said she wanted her subject to be the new baby.

The new baby is apparently a little camera shy.

So, with the deadline this week, I asked Dicie what she wanted to take pictures of since the new baby had not arrived yet. "I want to take pictures of the baby in your tummy because you are beautiful," was the reply. Even at 40 weeks and 6 days, you just cannot say no to that, because even though people tell you every day, in their most encouraging voices, "You look great!" the only person that can really make you feel beautiful is the sweet and sincere 8-year-old girl who first made you a mother.

Dicie's Photography Entry titled "A New Life"

For her artist statement she wrote, "I took this photo because my mom looks beautiful with a baby inside that is going to have a new life."

Today, Reflections means more to me than it has before. Through her art, Dicie's very nature is reflected and shines for others to see. This young girl is already a nurturer. She highly values the role of motherhood and demonstrates a mature understanding of it through her actions on a daily basis. She makes me want to be a better mother for her to imitate, and I am so honored that more than anything else she wants to do what I do and be what I am.

To me, Beauty Is... my daughter's Reflection.

5 comments:

Holly said...

That's fun that Dicie can get involved in doing Reflections. Too bad that baby isn't here to be photographed! Looks like it all turned out great in the end. ( :

Kim and Jim said...

Okay, this totally made me cry! Call it post-pregnancy emotions if you want, but that was the sweetest thing I've ever heard. Dicie deserves to win first place for sure! And, you do look great, Angie! I'm sure you feel a bit uncomfortable, but you still continue to amaze me!

Dave and Kathryn Dodds said...

That post just gave me chills! What a sweetheart!

Sarah said...

That makes me teary-eyed! How sweet!

Esau and Daphney said...

Isn't it amazing how our little ones can just melt our hearts!