Monday, December 28, 2009

Christmas Fun!

The big day has come and gone. It's always amazing to me how much preparation, craziness, and stress go into Christmas, just to have the day go by in a flash of brightly colored gift wrap. Every year I make an effort to take it easy, to bring more of the true spirit of Christmas into our home - less commercialism, more homemade gifts and family traditions. This year, however, with a new and highly demanding baby around, all that went out the window and now I'm on the flipside of Christmas just glad to have my sanity intact. The thing I enjoyed most about Christmas this year was just being together as a family, having Brett home for 4 days straight, and not having anything to stress over. It was very relaxing!

Christmas Eve we hosted a small party and had a few of our neighbors over. We had sandwiches and appetizers and I had made a huge batch of fudge. The kids exchanged $1 gifts while the adults did white elephant gifts. I was the lucky recipient of a set of thigh slimmer belts! The highlight of the evening was acting out the nativity story. Our friends had brought all the costumes and had the kids decked out perfectly. Dallin was a shepherd, Dicie was an angel, and Mia was the star!

Baby Jesus was our neighbor Xavier, and he wasn't too thrilled about it!

After the party the kids got to each open one gift. They all got new pajamas and were pretty cute. They were all SO excited about Santa coming in the morning that they all went to sleep right away. The girls camped out on the floor in the boys' room and they were awake and hollering for us in the morning at the designated 7am time.

Christmas morning dawned and though we didn't have a white Christmas, we had a beautiful sunrise:

The kids all had a great morning opening gifts, eating candy, and playing with their new toys. Jameson got a toy work bench, Mia got a new "baby," Dallin got an RC Helicopter, and Dicie got a real sewing machine!

Avery got a new baby toy gym, but is completely uninterested. The whole Christmas experience was a little overwhelming for her I guess!

Overall it was a very nice Christmas!

1 comment:

Suzanna said...

Avery is a doll, but that isn't too surprising seen as how all your kids are gorgeous! I had completely forgot you were expecting another baby and now here she is, what a few months old? Congratulations, even if I am super late.