Wednesday, January 6, 2010

Leftovers

I can't quite begin blogging for 2010 without wrapping up 2009! So here's a series of random photos and thoughts:

1: The baby in the bathtub photo - every kid needs one of these. Avery is my first baby to experience the plastic baby tub. We don't have a bathtub on the main floor where her room is, except for the deep monster tub in my bathroom that is impossible to bathe a baby in! So Avery gets the kitchen counter bath treatment and therefore I don't get around to bathing her as often as I should because it is a pain. Poor kid!

2: Beginning when she was 2 or 3 weeks old, Avery had thrush in her mouth for about a month! I treated it with a baby Nystatin prescription from when Jamo was a baby, but it had no effect. We finally got desperate and used Gentian Violet, a very PURPLE dye, that stains everything it touches. Luckily, it works like a charm! We've had to use it twice now and it is lovely...

3: In December we had an art night at our school. I helped do a little photography class for it and I displayed these pictures of Mia to teach various artistic concepts. I never got around to posting them here but I think they turned out fabulously and it was so fun to take them!

4: Last week, in a spontaneous moment, I decided to cut Dicie's hair - - myself. I'm not very good at cutting girl's hair and I really don't know how to layer it, but it turned out well enough and Dicie really likes it! One of these days I need to hook her up with a professional to fix it a bit!

And speaking of hair... Brett's hair got really bushy in December because I'd been too busy to cut it. When I finally got around to it I couldn't resist pulling out the flat iron and hair wax and goofing around a little before I chopped it off...

5: Every year I go a little nuts and buy or make Christmas dressy clothes for the kids. This year the 3 younger ones could wear hand-me-downs from a few years ago, so I just had to get a couple of things for Dicie and Dallin. One Saturday morning when Brett was on a campout I got the kids up, bathed them all, got them all dressed up and did their hair then attempted a photo session with them. It took hours to get ready and then pictures were a disaster! I was so mad about it that I never posted any of the pictures. I think I'm over it enough now! Sheesh - one of these days I'm going to get some fabulous pics of my own kids...
6: Dicie got a sewing machine for Christmas and it has been beyond adorable to watch her using it. Her first project - little bean bags. A little tricky for a beginning sewer, but she insisted and they turned out pretty well and the kids have had a lot of fun with them! Now she wants to sell them around the neighborhood... my little entrepreneur!

And now that we've taken care of the leftovers, we can bring in the new year! We had our celebrations in Utah and rang in the New Year with lots of sparklers!

HAPPY NEW YEAR!

5 comments:

Holly said...

Dicie's hair looked cute when you guys stopped by! I'm sorry the pictures of the kids didn't go too well. That's why I never even get pictures taken! I don't need any more grief in my life. ( :

Teresa said...

Its too bad none of us knew that you were going to be in Utah. We all had a really fun get together, probably while you were there. Oh well, maybe next time.

Jill said...

Love Dicie's hair!! And your kids looked darling in their Christmas clothes!! So sorry you could not get them all to smile. That is the most frustrating thing after taking all that time to get them ready!!! It still turned out cute.

Kim and Jim said...

Amazing pictures of Mia! Once again, I am amazed at your photo talents. Glad the gentian violet worked, too!!!!

jenny l p said...

You totally should have given Brett a Wolverine hairdo. Seriously.