Tuesday, July 20, 2010

The Parade Passed Us By

The Grand Parade in Provo is one of the highest attended parades in the country! When I was little my family went every year, so I have fond memories of the parade.  We took our kids for the first time this year and had a great time.  One of the tricky things about the parade is getting a "spot."  People used to camp out for days in advance to save their spots!  Now they post signs and you can't start saving spots until a designated time.  My teenage siblings, Melinda, Tracy, and Brady, became the official "spot-savers" for us.  They got up at 4:30am and set out a tarp and blankets so we could have a good spot for the parade!  It was great and we all really appreciated them for their early morning sacrifice.

After a fantastic breakfast at my parent's house, we headed off for the parade and were pleased as punch with the spot that we had.  I nearly had a fit when an older guy and two kids tried to set up their camp chairs in front of the blanket our kids were all on.  Apparently you have to have every inch of your "spot" covered with a tarp or blanket, or it is free game!  Thankfully, after I told the guy in no uncertain terms that he couldn't sit there and block our kids, they moved to a different spot.  Hee hee hee...

And so it began!

Dallin and Mia spent most of the parade plugging their ears.  Typical for my kids!
They about died when the canon, that marks the end of the parade, went by.

We saw lots of famous people in the parade!  My uncle Wayne, brothers Tracy and Brady marching in the band, my brother and his wife with Rosie the Riveter (aka Autumn) marching with the baby contest winners, and my Grandpa driving an army jeep!

We spectators were quite a sight as well:
Melinda, thrilled to have been sitting there since 5am.

Grandpa looking cool, Stacey changing a bum, Chace not changing a bum,
 and Holly & Ben looking adorable.

The kids all had a good time!  Rosie the Riveter made an appearance, Jameson practiced his scowl (but secretly loved the motorcycles), Dicie and Dallin were put out that there was no candy thrown, Mia - uh, yeah I don't know what she thought of it all, but Tabby had a good time!

Overall, I have to admit that the parade just didn't have the magical quality to it that I remember as a kid.  But hopefully that's just because I'm grown up now and it was still magical for the kids! 

And here's my favorite picture of the day.  I'm not sure what it is, but it speaks to me!  Congratulations Brian and Kimber, you win the prize for the best picture at the Grand Parade 2010!

3 comments:

Teresa said...

We were there too...I can't imagine why we didn't see you!! :cP

Jessica said...

I never recall going to the Provo parade. Seriously. Granted, my memory is terrible.

Also, I had no idea my dad was playing in the parade. I'll have to get on his case about that!

FurrFun said...

Awww, thanks! I love that picture. Really, I love all the pictures-it was a good weekend and I'm so happy we got to see you!