Sunday, December 4, 2011

Feasting and Fun

The Thanksgiving feast is always something to look forward to. The turkey, potatoes, rolls, and pies are always so good and such a nostalgic experience. My only contribution, besides trying to just lend a helping hand, was my mother-in-law's vanilla pie which I had been craving incessantly. And I didn't even have to make the dreaded pie crust, as my sister-in-law had a spare! Yummmm. I think I single-handedly ate at least 3/4 of that pie over the course of our stay.

 

I've been a little fixated lately on creating some Christmas traditions for our family. While looking up ideas online one day I came across the idea for a post-Thanksgiving-feast tradition and it sounded SO fun! Thanksgiving Bingo was born! We're not talking about cutesy little bingo cards for the kids with turkeys, cornucopias, and pilgrims. We went with the real deal! I went all out and bought an awesome bingo set, rolling cage with numbered balls included, and some extra cards and chips. Everyone was to bring an inexpensive wrapped gift and we used them as prizes while also implementing a version of the "Yankee Swap." It was a ton of fun and everyone down to Mia was able to participate. I learned a few things from our trial run and I'm sure future Thanksgiving Bingo games will be even more fun!


For me, this was one of the best Thanksgivings yet because we made the extra effort to build traditions and do things together. Next year I need to work harder at incorporating the "thanks" and "giving" throughout the whole month. I've had ambitions to do these Thanks and Giving Trees for two years now, but I'm terrible at sticking to daily things like that. There's always next year I guess!

No comments: