We spent the 4th of July in Twin Falls this year and had a great time! We enjoyed some backyard inflatable-pool time, the traditional BBQ with tons of amazing food, the acclaimed Dodds Family Fireworks Show, and of course lots of family time with cousins and siblings. The kids even slept out in the tent in the backyard that night! (It doesn't get better than that!)
The next day was my birthday. I am admittedly the most aggravating birthday-girl that ever existed. Last year, upon my insistence, we "skipped" the day entirely and I spent it being grouchy. At the end of the day Dicie was in tears because I didn't get a birthday cake (good one Mom) -- aaaand the complex psychosocial dysfunctions bring drama to the next generation. Awesome. Yeah, I have issues. But this year I tried REALLY hard to rally my spirits and have a fabulous attitude. It turned out to be a pretty tolerable day! ;)
In the morning Brett and I went to a session at the Twin Falls temple. The Boise temple is still closed, so we try to take advantage of any other temple we can! That afternoon we went down to the canyon and went on a hike with everyone. It was really fun! I love spending time with my family in the great outdoors - I always feel closest to them when we do.
The Stroller Lineup
Cousin Hannah, Avery, Cousin Elizabeth, and Beckham
Dicie - I know, she's looking like such a young lady! And Beckham, stroller-snoozing.
I ♥ Us
Mia in front of the falls and Jamo with his stick (a kid can't hike without one)!
Cheesy Avery
Dallin and the View!
Later that evening we had cake and ice cream and, um, a lot of candles! I caught a lot of flack from everyone for making my own birthday cake. But I'd been wanting to make this cake (my very favorite thing at The Cheesecake Factory) for a couple of years and doing it myself was fun and even more rewarding when taking that first bite! The cake was a masterpiece, if I do say so myself...
Beat That Cheesecake Factory!
Red Velvet Cheesecake Cake
Over 5 Cups of Sugar + 4 Bricks of Cream Cheese + 3 Sticks of Butter = Heaven on Earth
Oh, and I have to publicly sing my hubby's praises for a sec. That man has such patience and persistence. He tries every year to make this day a special one for me. I love him for it. And I love that he got on my Pinterest account and bought me almost everything on my Wish List board, as well as some earrings inspired by my Jewelry board, AND some new tops from the Loft. He's so sneaky! I was definitely surprised, but you can bet that I'll be using Pinterest to my advantage come Christmas time...

















1 comment:
Ok, that cake does look disgustingly good. Wowsers! And yay Brett for being an awesome hubby. I'll have to clue Ben in to that trick.
Post a Comment