Tuesday, March 17, 2009

Yep, I'm One of THOSE Moms

Yesterday Brett took the day off work because he wasn't feeling well, and because we had quite a few things to do on the new house. It was a not-too-cold, blustery, perfect-for-kite-flying day, so that afternoon Brett and Dallin headed to the playground to fly Dallin's new kite.
I planned to go over too, after I got a load of laundry going. Of course Jameson decided to have a blow-out, so I had to give him a bath. Just as I was putting him in the tub, the doorbell rang. I ran downstairs, hands dripping, and opened the door to greet a teenage boy whom I had never seen. "There's a little girl out here. . ." was all he had to say.
Yeah, that's my kid. Standing out in the cold in her socks, crying for her Daddy who went to the park without her.
Yep, apparently I'm one of those Moms.
Sigh.
Well, that's reality I guess! Poor Mia - she was so distraught that her Daddy and brother had gone kite-flying without her! Later, when I told Brett what had happened, he said he thought he'd heard, clear from the playground, a child crying, "Daddy!"
On the bright side, once I'd de-pooped the baby, I loaded the kids into the wagon and headed over to the park. From our house we could see the kite flying high above the rooftops! We arrived to find one happy little boy:

Two seconds later, it began to sprinkle.

Two seconds after that, it began to RAIN! So much for kite flying! I guess it was fun while it lasted, but I had to turn right around, with wagon it tow, and head home against the rain.
Poor Jamo was soaked when we got home. Bath time again!
And this time, I tied up the 3-year-old so I knew where she was.
Just kidding.
At least I'm not one of those Moms. (I think.)

2 comments:

Holly said...

Boy, aren't you glad is was the kind of kid who'd come to the door and ask about the crying kid instead of snatching her? That's just a tad scary! Life is like that some days. Sigh. This is why I HAVE to have kid knobs on all outside doors. I just know I'd find Tabitha down the street when I wasn't looking! That's an awesome looking kite. Why does Brett have a tape measure in his pocket? That's what it looks like anyway.

Sarah said...

Oh yes, been there...! Beret was returned to me shortly after we moved here by the guy that lives on the corner of our street and Maple Grove! Another day he went missing, and after searching the house several times, found him on Amity, luckily in the care of non-English speaking yard care guys! He'd been off looking for the park, too!