Christmas came and went here at our house! It was pretty low-key for us this year. The past few months (okay, the past year!) have been pretty crazy and challenging, so the time leading up to Christmas was not as organized or eventful as I would have liked. I usually like to complete most of my shopping by Thanksgiving, but this year I had NOT done most of it 12 days before Christmas! I had a last minute panic session and ended up buying almost everything on Amazon. In the end it was really not so bad. I got some pretty great deals on some of the gifts because of last minute sales! I also felt bad that we didn't decorate very much. We decked out the tree and set out our Fisher Price Nativity, but that was pretty much it! The kids were a little disappointed, but I think we all appreciated having less to clean up and put away. We'll definitely ramp up our Christmas spirit and do better next year! Finally, I was really terrible about taking pictures this year! I spent Christmas just relaxing and enjoying our family. I just wasn't in the mood to go all picture crazy! Thus the lack of visual interest in this post. We did manage some decent video footage on Christmas morning, so we're good.
However lacking Christmas may have been this year, the one area that was definitely not neglected was the food! My life practically revolves around food, much to the regret of my waistline. I love food so much I want to marry it! Except that would be polyandry. Comfort, tradition, memories, happiness... they're all found in food! So to narrate our Christmas celebrations I will focus on the food that made it all happen.
Christmas Eve day we spent pulling together our last-minute goodie plates for friends and neighbors. We made Dipped Gingersnap Cookies and Pretzel Turtles. Mmmmmm. We delivered all our treats and even got our Christmas cards in the mail! Yee-haw!
Our 2010 Christmas Card
And We Included a "Normal" Photo as a Bonus Prize
A few days beforehand I asked each of the kids what they liked best about Christmas. Dicie's response was "Christmas Dinner!" (She's my kind of girl!) So at the last minute I ran to the store and picked up what we'd need to prepare a feast. We had turkey (free from Brett's work!), mashed potatoes and gravy, "homemade" Rhoades rolls, green beans with lime butter, and cran-raspberry jello salad. Brett made his famous apple pie and I made my completely un-famous (perhaps in-famous?) key lime pie because I like it. It all took more time to prepare than planned and we had a late but delicious Christmas Eve dinner at 7:00! We had a TON of leftovers. Not that I'm complaining.
After dinner we rolled ourselves into the family room and threw together a quick nativity reinactment. The costumes were the highlight.
From left to right: Mary, the Angel, Wiseman #3, Wiseman #2, Wiseman #1, Shepherd, and Joseph
(not pictured: baby jesus, the imaginary sheep)
After nativity-ing we shooed the kids off to bed where they all camped out in the boy's room in their sleeping bags while visions of sugar plums (and gifts from Santa) danced in their heads. Avery couldn't stand the suspense and woke up at 5am, but the rest slept blissfully till 7:00 am (read: they knew they'd be dead meat if they made a peep before then).
Christmas morning we followed our traditional routine. We got up and watched "Joy to the World" upstairs as a family. Then the kids all came down to see their Santa gifts and open their stockings. Much glee ensued as Dicie received the much-coveted American Girl Knock-off Doll (Santa is much too practical for the real thing) with matching pj's for her and the doll, Dallin received a super-cool Hot Wheels track, Mia received a Furry Friends Playset, Jameson received the Cars Geotrax Mega Set, and Avery received 100 Storybook Classics on DVD.
After Santa gifts we stay true to the Dodds tradition and prepare a big breakfast! Hooray more dishes! We had the most amazing Gingerbread Waffles with Buttermilk Syrup. Oh, they were heavenly and will surely be our traditional Christmas breakfast from now on!
Thanks to Grandma & Grandpa Dodds we had a brand new nifty waffle maker to use! (I admit, we shook the box, guessed what was inside, and opened it up early so we could use it.) We also had bacon, hominy (an old family favorite of mine: just drain and fry up in a little bacon grease, then salt & pepper), and o.j. It was a fabulous breakfast! Mmmmm, I'm still reminiscing...
At about 10:00 my sister called to squeel about her Christmas gift (Wicked Tickets! My Mom and sisters and I are all going when it comes to Boise in May!) She asked what we all got and I told her we had just finished breakfast and hadn't unwrapped a single gift yet! We like to take our time opening gifts (plus Brett and I get thrills torturing our children) so we take it slow. We go one gift at a time and everyone watches as each gift is not only opened, but taken out of its package and experienced! It is a little hard for impatient kids (i.e. Dallin), but I think it's good for them!
Christmas was good to everyone. I love giving gifts! I love finding things my kids and hubby will *hopefully* like and I anticipate and relish the joy they will bring them. I laughed when Brett was so thrilled to receive boring old clothes, I've loved watching Dicie work intensely to pump out two hats with her new knitting looms, and I loved playing dinosaurs with Jameson. Poor Avery really got neglected in the present department, but I decided not to spend much on her when she really has no idea what's going on!
After presents were finally all opened we spent the rest of the day enjoying new toys, playing new games, doing puzzles, and relaxing together. Of course we had some great food to enjoy too. We do appetizers mainly on Christmas day: crackers and a green onion cheese ball, BBQ Lil' Smokies, fruit, leftovers from Christmas dinner, and candy of course!
Overall we had a really nice Christmas. One of the best gifts this year came a few days late. Our good friends, the Medinas, moved back to Boise today! Good friends and family are the real gifts that I cherish, especially at this time of year. Of course we are truly grateful for the birth of our Lord and Savior, Jesus Christ. Our lives are so richly blessed because of His perfect life.











2 comments:
Sounds like everything went well despite the lack of ultra-preparedness that we all like to have. Ooh, all that food sounds good! Sadly, I need to lose a few pounds myself so I've got to lay off the goodies!
I'm excited for Wicked- we'll just have to fandangle some way for me to come out there and actually go see it. If not, you'll have to bring a friend or something.
Glad you guys had a great Christmas and it sounds like you've got some fun traditions now.
Angie, you are my kind of girl. I love food! It was nice to hear all your Christmas traditions.
Post a Comment