Monday, July 23, 2012

Our Oregon Coast Vacation, Part II: Drift Creek Falls

On Monday afternoon we went hiking! It turned out to be one of the highlights of our trip. I don't know if it gets much better than being in the mountains with your family, surrounded by such lush beauty.

On the Trail - I loved walking behind the boys with their sticks!
Dad, Avery, and Dicie

Mia with Grandma and Grandpa

 Our Destination: Drift Creek Falls and a 240 foot long cable suspension bridge!
It was a very cool (and maybe slightly scary) experience to cross the bridge, feel it swaying as we walked, and to look down to the creek over 100 feet below us!

The Falls and the Bridge: Beautiful!

 Oh look, I was there too!   ---   Beckham snoozing during the return hike

 Exploring

Of course I must include the story of the North Loop, as it will undoubtedly live in infamy for years to come! On the way into the falls we passed a sign that said "North Loop" and pointed off to a side trail. On the way back out the kids were curious and wanted to take the North Loop trail. Grandma, being an enthusiastic hiker and an especially nice Grandmother, agreed to take them. Well, the North Loop was definitely not a short cut! Grandma, Dicie, Dallin, and Jameson really got their exercise! Grandma told them stories and worked her magic talking to Jameson to help distract him and keep him moving. Eventually Brett went back for them and I think he arrived just when Grandma was starting to worry that they were lost! It all ended well and made for great memories for all of them.

Monday night we built a fire in the fire pit at the house. It was quite windy, but we managed to have a little family home evening lesson and s'mores. Smelling like camp fire afterwards was the perfect way to end the day!

No comments: